Tetlit Gwich’in Council

Tetlit Gwich’in Council
TETLIT ZHEH (aka Fort McPherson)

Fort McPherson is a community of approximately 950 people, the majority being of Gwich’in ancestry. Fort McPherson sits on the banks of the beautiful Peel River overlooking the majestic Richardson Mountains. Located 187 km of Inuvik, it is surrounded by beautiful birch, spruce and pines trees, the fresh waters of the Peel and well protected land.

Fort McPherson is a strongly knit community; supporting all traditional and cultural values and is the home land of all the Gwich’in. Treaty 11 was signed on July 28, 1921 on the banks of Fort McPherson by Chief Julius Salu and his headmen. Today the community still honours the signing of the treaty as it provides the Gwich’in rights to education and other benefits. On April 22, 1992 Fort McPherson was the host community to the signing of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement with the Canadian Government, marking this as an important day in Gwich’in history.

Tetlit Gwich’in Council
PO Box 30
Fort McPherson, NT   X0E 0J0
Ph: 867-952-2330   Fax: 867-952-2212
President: Wilbert Firth
wilbertf@tgcouncil.ca
Members: David Krutko
Abe Wilson
Leslie P. Blake
Liz Vittrekwa

Tetlit Gwich’in Council Renewable Resources Council
PO Box 30
Fort McPherson, NT   X0E 0J0
Ph: 867-952-2330   Fax: 867-952-2212
President: Mary R. Tetlichi
Coordinator: Georgina Vaneltsi-Neyando
georginavn@tgcouncil.ca